Our Beautiful Life

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A small introduction of the many faces of Karter's Care team!

We finally got a straight answer today! Karter will not be going home till surgery. They will not schedule her surgery until she is half a kilo bigger which is about one pound. Therefore we will be staying here at the hospital getting this little booger nice and fat. They have fortified all of her feedings in order to get the maximum weight gain! She is weighed 9 lbs .3 oz yesterday and today she weighed 9lbs 1.8 oz so she had about a 1.5 oz gain! I am a bit relieved that we will not be going home until surgery and I do not even mind the wait up here as long as it is all to benefit her and her health. It is a little bitter sweet just because I would love to be home but at the same time home would not be the same with Karter Bear on the verge of having another attack. I would be a nervous wreck, so at the hospital we will gladly stay!

So tonight I thought we would entertain you with some of the medical staff we have meet while we are here. I will be giving each of them a unique name due to privacy issues.

The first person I would love to introduce you to is soon to be Dr. Awkward. Dr. Awkward introduced himself to us when we moved from the ICU unit to the eighth floor. Now you have to understand that he is a medical student. The first time he came into the room he was quick to blurt this out. He walked in with his unsure posture and immediately said, "I am just a med student". We quickly began to just refer to him as the med student for each time he comes in the room he gives us his prognosis and then reminds us again that he is "just a med student". Every time he comes in he looks as if he is trying to find something just anything to do to make him feel and look important. He listens to her heart, checks her vitals, and then asks us "Do you have any questions? I will give you the best answer I know but I will always go double check it to make sure I told you correctly because I am just a med student". I think he tells us he is just a med student probably a good five to ten times while he is in the room. He reminds me of Doggie Howser. He is so interesting to watch when the nurses come into the room, it is like he gets all shy and unsure of himself. I have never seen a man so intimidated by such sweet ladies! The poor thing looks as if the nurses might bite his head off at anytime! I think that Jeremy and I have both developed a little school girl crush on him due to his awkward personality. I even tried to come up with a list of questions to ask every time he came in the room just to make him feel important! When we were transferred back to the ICU I could not wait to get back to the eighth floor to be entertained by Dr. Awkward. Sadly to say though we have not seen him in rounds since we have been back. :( Hopefully he will return to our lives soon!

The next person I would like to include is Mr. Pompous. Mr. Pompous is a nurse in the ICU unit. This nurse was so full of himself I swear he was going to pop. While I know that a lot of RN's usually know more than the doctor I hate to say that this RN did not. Nurse Pompous liked nothing more than to do nothing. There were several times that he left Karter in a soaking wet diaper because he just forgot to check it. Nurse Pompous unfortunately made the mistake of talking badly about our eighth floor nurses who we adore. Due to this we had to file a report on him. Needless to say we will never have to deal with him or his arrogant self again! He was truly the first person we have meet in this hospital whom we did not care for taking care of Karter. I just pray that he starts to treat his other patients better and realizes that no matter what floor a RN works on that they are all important!!!

Dr. Shadow is the last person I would like to introduce tonight. He is a short little man, good looking though, that follows around the main cardiologist. He is a doctor but we are very unsure why he follows the cardiac doctors around. Dr. Shadow also has an almost shy personality. I do believe that we may intimidate him or maybe he is just scared by our looks in general. He tends to come in early in the morning before make-up and teeth brushing time! No wonder the guy looks a little scared, the more I think about it the more I realize what he is walking into every morning! Haha! Just Kidding!

Anyways Dr. Awkward, RN Pompous, and Dr. Shadow have provided us with a lot of entertainment. From the shyness of Dr. Awkward and Shadow to the arrogance of Pompous we have had our share of laughs. I know that you may not understand why they are so entertaining to us but I guess once you have been locked in a hospital for almost three weeks that you find something, anything to entertain you!

We are truly thankful to the staff here at Children's Hospital! They have made our stay incredible and for the most part everyone is super nice, friendly, and welcoming! Please continue to pray for Karter and please also include a small prayer for Pompous so that other families do not have to endure his mighty attitude!

Love,

The McHams'

1 comment:

  1. aww too funny. We had a pompous nurse too once. And how sweet of you to make Dr Awkward feel special! Dr Shadow maybe working on his fellowship to be a cardiologist.. too funny. Glad you are there and love that you ask for prayers for what I refer to as Sandpaper people (i.e. Pompous) Best way to handle them. Prayers continue from down here!

    ReplyDelete