Our Beautiful Life

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day Seven- Overload

Let me start off by saying Karter is still doing wonderful. She is the sweetest baby I think anyone could ever have the pleasure of meeting. She is absolutely beautiful inside and out! Sorry that we have not posted in the last two nights....we have had Addison with us this weekend and have been mighty busy! We took her to the aquarium yesterday and she loved it! She has been a breath of fresh air to have around here! I just love getting to hold and to play with her, I truly did miss her!
So we have been "patiently" waiting on Karter's PDA to close and today we became a step closer. It has closed enough for them to remove us from ICU and move us up to the eighth floor (RECOVERY FLOOR)! We will still be here a few days until it fully closes but that just means we are a step closer to coming home! We also learned today that Karter for sure has Down Syndrome. Knowing that she has Down Syndrome was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be emotionally for us. I know that we have known it in our hearts for the last few days but actually hearing the doctor tell us was a bit of an overload. This could be because when she told us she also explained a lot of the complications that Down Syndrome patients can have throughout their precious life. I don't know if it was the shock of all of the conditions that Karter could face or if it was just a build up of everything that happened this last week but today was the first day I finally broke down. Thank goodness for Jeremy, he was there to help me find my strength again (if even for just today) and to hold my hand and remind me that we should be thanking God for bestowing this precious gift upon us and that no matter what we just needed to take it day by day.
Ok so I am going to try and clear up Kater's condition for everyone...I think I have it right this time! Her PDA is a ligament/valve that closes as soon as an infant leaves the womb; however, Karter's was reopened until they could re-evaluate her heart condition. They opened it because it can provide more oxygen & blood flow from the heart. Her PVA is the pulmonary artery that leads to the heart and lungs. Karter's PVA is too narrow and not letting enough oxygen go to the heart and the lungs. This will be treated with surgery. The main issue Karter has is that her AV canal is not fully formed. The AV canal is responsible for separating the oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood to route it to the appropriate chambers of the heart. This canal will also be treated with surgery and once treated will allow her to breath a little easier and keep her heart paced at an appropriate level. The AV canal is the interior wall of the four chambers of the heart. I hope that clears a few things up....it can all get confusing!
BRIGHT NOTE: Addison got to see Karter this afternoon since we were moved up the the eighth floor. She just adored her little sister. She is going to be a great big sister! She already loves her a lot, and I just know she will be Karter's protector! All she wanted to do was hold and lay beside her, it was too sweet!
Thank you all again for all of your prayer and support! We really appreciate everything you have all done and continue to do for our family. Please continue to pray for Karter's strength so that we may come home and prepare her better for surgery!

Love ya,

The McHams

2 comments:

  1. Tara - Bob and I wanted to say that we are praying for your family and especially your precious baby girl. As I work with children every day who have special needs, like Down Syndrome, I too get to see the blessing and gift from God that they really are. If there is ever anything that I can do for you, information I can get for you, or people to connect you with, please never hesitate to ask. Bob and I are here if we can do anything, and everyone at work misses you and is sending you their best wishes! Love - Kacy and Bob Walsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kacy, I would love to get more information from you on working with children with Down Syndrome. Knowing that there are so many people out there willing to help us out is incredible and I can not thank you enough! I will contact you as soon as things kind of settle down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete