Our Beautiful Life

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 2- Whirlwind of Emotions

Today has been a whirlwind of emotions...I think it is all starting to hit and the adrenaline that we have been running off of the last two days is finally starting to settle down. Karter is fighting hard, and has been one tough baby today. She is still off of her heart medication, which is great! The Pulmany Aurty valve (PAV) is starting to close like they wanted. We still have another few days of close observation though to make sure that the PAV closes all the way. The doctors did another echo cardiogram today to check the valve for any other irregularities and to make sure that it was starting to do it's job with out the medication. The results from the cardiogram came back with good results, the valve looks to be starting the process of closing and they did not see any other problems in her heart. As long as this valve closes in the next few days we should be able to avoid any surgery until she is a few months old. As far as knowing if she has down syndrome, we will not know for another week and a half or more. The test they do to test for this is a lengthy test due to the fact that they have to grow some more white blood cells from the few that they were able to pull out in a blood sample.

Karter was able to start losing some of the cords and machines that she was attached to today, such as her antibiotic line. They removed it because they think she is strong enough to fight off any infections! BIG NEWS: She was able to feed today, from a bottle. She did good at first with the nurse trying to get to feed her and was able to get down the first part of my breast milk. They then let me hold her and try to feed her, which she did OK she just did not want to eat much more than she already had. She took about an ounce total but they still feel that this is not enough. They are going to continue her on her iv and try feeding again tomorrow (Wednesday) because when they tried again later on she was just a little too weak to eat. If she is not able to feed from a bottle this morning then we are looking at a feeding tube which will go down her nose unto her belly. She will then keep the feeding tube until we make it up to the recovery unit.

Our main goal for Wednesday is to get Miss Karter to eat! I am very thankful that she is able to suck and swallow the milk now if we could just get her hungry! We are taking everything day by day and looks like we are at the point where all we can do is pray and wait and see.

Jeremy and I are still doing ok and hanging in there. It has been a roller coaster of emotions since she was born. Jeremy has defiantly been the strong one and has held it together for me when I just could not. The tears I cry are full of mixed emotions, I am excited and sad. Excited for all of the progress our baby girl has made but at the same time I have become torn by not being with Addison. Who knew that I would miss hearing Dora the Explorer in the background or the really stinky diapers? Thankfully she will be coming down for the weekend! Other things that have been hard are just not being able to go pick up Karter when I want to, while I am thankful that I at least get to hold her some it is just not the same. I never imagined not being able to hold my child or not being able to be with her for those precious first days. We still can not hold her hand or look at her toes because of all of the machines so all of that is tough. I did get to change her diaper today!!! I guess what I am trying to say is that I miss all of the little things that we do as mothers. My motherly instincts are there and it just kills me that I am not able to provide for her like I think I should be doing right now. On another note, Jeremy finally got to hold her today for a lengthy amount of time, I wish everyone could have seen the way he was beaming ear to ear! He is defiantly a proud daddy (as if you already did not know)! I just pray that I too can become as strong as he has been!

Well I think I have over done it for now...thank you for all of your support and prayers. Please keep the prayers coming because I know through prayer we can get Karter home! Our goal for the next week is to get to the recovery floor, floor 8! So please pray for floor 8!!! Also while in your prayers please also pray for all of Karter's new friends in the cardiac ICU! There are a lot of babies up there that still need prayer and healing. We have meet and will continue to meet some incredible people up here.

Thank you all!

P.S. We love you Miss Addison Grace, you are still our sweet angel too!

2 comments:

  1. God is answering prayer! Praise God!!! I am still praying for that sweet angel and for both of you. Love yall very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah Armstrong sent me a link to your blog. I just wanted to let you know that my family and I are praying for you and your sweet baby Karter.

    So glad to hear that she ate a little!! I know how big of an accomplishment that is! Praying for more moments to celebrate in the days ahead!

    ReplyDelete